Monday, September 10, 2007

Shalom! (finally)

Hello Friends!

Well... today officially recognizes my twelfth day in Israel and there is so much I wish I could share with you all. I apologize for not updating this blog earlier but I have been so utterly perplexed and overwhelmed with all that has come to pass that, in retrospect, it seems that it would have been impossible for me to post any earlier.

What a city. I have never experienced a city so consumed in conflict. It is a divided city representing the three major monotheistic religions... each of which is unwilling to budge for one another. Every individual that I have come to converse with has been very loving and interested to get to know me and tell their story. It is only when you get any one of these individuals discussing the topic of religion that the real storm brewing beneath comes to surface. Perhaps the most heated topic is (and may always be) the 'temple mount.' You should never refer to the area of the Dome of the Rock as the 'temple mount' when talking to a Muslim. For centuries the Muslims have denied that their holy area is the same area as the 'temple mount.' Yet, every historian, no matter their religious persuasion, has come to the same conclusion that this is indeed the area of the 'temple mount.' Specifically under the area of the al-Aqsa mosque. At this very moment their is digging underway on the 'temple mount' to run new electrical wiring for the mosque. They are tearing up precious archaeological evidence, yet the government is saying nothing for fear of another intifada. It is only the archaeologists and historians that are pulling their hair out in angst. It is a very controversial area indeed. A symbol of the deep divide that runs throughout the region of Jerusalem and greater Israel.
On a lighter note I have made some great new friends.

Left to Right: Autumn (Bethel), Kent (Texas), Chad (Northwestern), Gracie


Left to Right: Benjamin (South Carolina), Jonathan (Illinois)

By the way... the weather in Israel is beautiful! The temperature rises to the mid 90's by the afternoon but it is never humid so the heat is nice. Then at night the temperature falls into the 60's and it is great cool sleeping. There is never a cloud in the sky.
I'll post again soon... I promise. I miss you all and hope you are all enjoying the beautiful Minnesotan fall.
Benjamin (Ben-yah-meen)

No comments: